Friday, October 23, 2009

A Little Adventure

Some of you might remember a few months ago that I'd planned on going hot air ballooning, but that it was cancelled due to weather. Today it was fourth time lucky and I finally got up in the air!

I was up at 4am for a 5am start. By 5.30 we were out in the field helping get the balloon up.

As soon as it was up, we where in the basket for a quick photo or two, then we were off! Of the five balloons, we were the first off the ground.

We travelled across Melbourne, from south to north, starting near Albert Park.

We passed over lots of familiar sights; the exhibition building (where AQC is held) and museum:

Melbourne cemetery:

And some lovely views of the city as the sun slowly came up:

And lots of houses which look so tiny (and so many yappy dogs):

We waved at some kids who had come out to have a look as we decended. And rather strangely, we landed in Fawkner Cemetery. Backwards!

Then we helped with the packup (those balloons are huge!) before heading back to the city for a champagne breakfast. Not a bad way to spend a day off!

4 comments:

Lynda said...

Definitely is a great way to start a day (although I can't see myself in one) - good on you.

Liz Harrell said...

What a fantastic experience! These pictures are great... so fun. I would have flipped about landing backwards though. I'm a pretty big sissy. :)

Carol said...

Oh Kate...what an absolutely incredible day!

Ginger Patches said...

Oh you lucky girl you! I have always wanted to do one of those. They have an afternoon/evening one where you get wine and a picnic and that is on my bucket list. Great pictures :)