Friday, May 4, 2012

The Easiest Chocolate Cake

Doesn't everyone love a good chocolate cake? It's my mum's birthday today (is a big one), and I've got the yummiest chocolate cake baking in the oven right now. It's so easy that it's one of the first cakes I ever cooked on my own.


From the PWMU cookbook.
3 eggs
1 cup sugar
1 cup flour
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/2 teaspoon bicarb soda
1 tablespoon butter
1/2 cup water
1/3 cup cocoa

Beat egg whites until stiff, then gradually add sugar and egg yolks.
Put  cocoa, water and butter in a saucepan and bring to the boil.
Sift flour, cream of tartar and bicarb soda and add to egg mixture.
Then fold in boiling chocolate mixture.
Divide between two greased sandwhich tins (I line the base and flour the sides), then bake in a moderately hot (190C) oven for 20 mins.

I like to stack mine with a heap of whipped cream in the middle then dust with lashings of icing sugar to finish off.

1 comment:

5Bent Needles said...

this looks delicious, my have to try it this weekend