Friday, January 1, 2010

A Penny For Your Thoughts

Having recently become unemployed, and finding that jobs in my field are few and far between, I've spent a lot of time recently thinking about what I want to do with my life. I love science, but you spend so much time wondering where the next bit of funding is going to come from; as a result, there is little job security.

My other big passion is obviously quilting. I'm always spotting new fabrics that I'd like, or new patterns that I want to sew. But like a lot of Aussies, it isn't always easy to get your hands on particular items. Often the cost is prohibitive too. So what I've been thinking about a lot lately is starting up my own business; an online store to sell the fabrics that I like to use. Often for me, that's Moda fabric and the fantastic range of pre-cuts they produce.

So what I'm interested in is some feedback, particularly from the Aussies. What fabrics would you like to see stocked? Would you like full ranges of fabric, or a selection from each of a number of ranges? Fat quarter bundles, jelly rolls, or charm square? Some of everything? Whose patterns would you like stocked? And anything else you'd like to see? Please share with me all of your thoughts, I'd love to hear them, as I know what I'd like to be able to purchase, but I'm curious about everybody else.

4 comments:

Jodie said...

I love Moda and micheal miller fabrics and love being able to buy it straight off the bolt... If you started an online fabric shop which was reasonably priced I'd shop from you for sure...

Hugs
Jodie :)

Unknown said...

How exciting Kate , that is huge news ! Of course I'd love to see my patterns in your store but besides that I love M.Miller and Heather Baily and precuts are so lovely and easy . All the very best Kate I hope it all works out for you .

Renee said...

Hey Kate - I too enjoy Science, but a job based around quilting would be a dream! I use Spotlight and Lincraft for all my plains and basic fabrics, but for designer stuff I almost always order from the US. I love Free spirit and Moda fabrics, and really like the pre-cuts too, but I can never find them at an Aussie shop for anywhere near as cheap as in the US.

If I buy a pre-cut bundle I will usually always get a yard of one of the fabrics fro the binding or a border, so I do like having a choice of all the range. I tend to go for charm sqares (so cheap!) and fat quarter bundles rather than jelly rolls.

Can't think of anything else now, but I shall let you know if I do. Good Luck Kate - I hope this works out for you!

Quilter Going Bananas said...

Wow Kate! Something exciting to ponder huh? Can't give you any advice from over here in cold snowy Canada but I'll be curious what you decide.