Friday, May 7, 2010

What Am I Doing Wrong?

I thought I'd spend a relaxing Friday arvo working on the first block of the Port De France quilt; how wrong I was! Here is the problem, and I'm hoping someone can help:

If I follow these instructions:


I get this flying goose unit; there is no seam at the top, meaning the point gets cut off...


But if I offset the triangles, I get the seam allowance, but then the unit is 1/2 an inch too short to attach to the centre square.



This pattern is one of the most odd I've worked with; all the instructions are diagrams as shown above and no written directions. Anyone have any suggestions as to what I'm doing wrong?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm no help it's all French to me !Just wanted to wish you luck though !

Carol said...

I think that either measurements that they gave you for the goose is wrong or the triangle unit. I think you're going to have to redo the math. YUCK!

Thelma said...

Good Morning Kate!

This is my first visit to your blog, I love the quilt in your header picture, so fresh and springy.

I also love your Summer Wind!! That Miss Rosie sure can put together some lovely blocks, great job!

I was forwarded a link to your blog by a friend who knows I was also working on the pattern Wild Goose Chase! I could not agree more, the pattern lacks sufficient instructions!! We get spoiled with Carrie's patterns from Miss Rosie. I took one look at the directions to the 12 inch blocks in that pattern and decided to substitute blocks made using Marti Michell templates. I have a friend who is also swapping out the blocks in that pattern with others. The rest of the pattern is good, it's just the directions for the 12 inch blocks that are poor.

Good Luck, I'll be back to see what you decided.