Friday, January 11, 2013

Multitasking Fail

I thought I'd be smart and take a break from the Scrappy Tripalong so that I could dig into the Cuzco quilt I've been planning since November. All the fabrics are sitting there ready to go, the pattern is downloaded onto my iPad, and so I thought I was all set.

Apparently not. Forgot to buy binding. Misread the instructions and cut some of the Layer Cake squares for the setting triangles, only to find I should have used larger squares...so that's five squares wasted that would have brightened up the quilt a little. Then went to start piecing the rows, only to realise you need to trim the squares down to 9.5".

Cuzco
 
Big fail today! It could be the heat, it could be the fact I'm a bit stressed (this year has not run smoothly so far). The pattern is very well written, so I only have myself to blame for misreading it.

Cuzco
 
On the upside, it's coming together really quickly! In less than two hours I've got all the strips cut, and the major rows pieced. Just need to piece the sashing rows, and sort out my triangle dilemma. I'm thinking maybe a little bit of Fandango might just save the day. I might retreat back to my scrappy blocks for a little while...

3 comments:

Marg said...

Ouch that's no good. I think that has probably happened to all of us a t some stage. Even when I measure twice and cut I've still cut the wrong width! It's looking great though and I'm sure you could put some other fabrics in there that will blend well.

Robyn of Oz said...

It is looking lovely and only you will know you've made a mistake. The other way to look at it is you've designed a whole new quilt!
It will not be the end of the world and remember : all things shall pass. Things will look up for you soon. Promise, cos it is only fair.

a good yarn said...

It's a lovely simple quilt to feature those fabrics and at least you've found a way to work around your issues. I hope the year smoothes out for you and the heat abates soon!