Monday, August 27, 2012

Escape

Back in June I decided I needed to take a little time out, and check out of my life for a couple of days. With a little bit of organising, I had myself a weekend away in Sydney with a friend who lives up that way. We met three years ago in the US and catch up every year, even travelling across the US again together last year.
 
So Friday afternoon I packed my little suitcase up and headed off to the airport, excited at the thought of a girls' weekend and a spot of warm weather. And it lived up to expectation!
 
We checked into a gorgeous 5 star hotel right in the middle of the city, primped ourselves then headed out for the evening. Friday night we spent in Darling Harbour, where one of my favourite little restaurants does cocktails by the litre. Some yummy food and a few drinks, then we grabbed a bottle of wine and headed back to the hotel for some good girly gossip.
 
Saturday morning we wandered down to Circular Quay for breakfast; pancakes with a view of the bridge.
 
Then onto a ferry and across to Tooronga Zoo for the morning. The view up there is spectacular, and it was such a gorgeous morning. I particuarly enjoyed seeing the tigers (my favourite big cat) and the giraffes, who were equally interested in us as we were them.
 
 
 
Once we were done, it was a quick ferry trip back to the city, with lunch at The Rocks, and a browse at The Rocks Markets, where we both bought a few bits and pieces.
 
 
Back at the hotel, we enjoyed a little more wine and some down time, before dressing up for another night out. We had earlier spotted Jamie's Italian (a Jamie Oliver restaurant), so that was the plan for dinner. We had to line up to put our name down, then wandered to a local pub to wait for the call. Dinner was divine! We had some gorgeous spaghetti fritters, pasta, a proscuitto salad, then finished off with a brownie and some tiramisu.
 
 
Last stop for the evening was a bar right at the top of one of the city hotels.  Not quite the view we were hoping for (couldnt quite see the bridge and opera house), but it was a bit of fun and the cocktails were yum!
 
  
My friend had to leave early on Sunday so I had a quiet morning. Though I did make time to pop into the Adriano Zumbo patisserie for a few macarons to take home. Then I spent a bit of time around Darling Harbor enjoying the sunshine before it was time to fly home. Another weekend away might be in order, and sooner rather than later, as it did the world of good.

3 comments:

Marg said...

I need a weekend like that, and a litre cocktail, yum!!!!

Deb R said...

Good for you Kate, we all need a little time out!!

Kate R said...

Sounds like a pretty nearly perfect Sydney weekend! I've just arrived back here for good and am thinking about a weekend away out of the city somewhere... Somehow, the change of scenery always does us good, doesn't it? Glad you had a good weekend :)