Wednesday, January 5, 2011

When Life Gives You Peaches...

Summer means a bounty of yummy fruit, and this week we are blessed with an abundance of ripe white peaches. They all ripen at once, which means finding creative things to do with them in the kitchen.


I've always been interested in bottling fruit, but this is the first time I've tried. It seems to have worked quite well, and looks pretty, though next time I'll cram more fruit in the bottle. It was well packed until I "canned" the bottle, and they all floated. I just wasn't prepared to squash the fruit in too much.


I've also whipped up a peach clafoutis; essentially a baked custard containing the fruit of choice, though often made with peaches or cherries. Tastes pretty good topped with a scoop of ice-cream or a dollop of yoghurt.

3 comments:

Lucille29 said...

I love peaches!!!
Log Cabin Homes
Alaska Salmon Fishing

Corrie said...

oh I love peaches and love clafoutis! I have a few canning books which for some crazy reason I bought just before I had baby 4! I must have been nesting. I also bought 2 dozen mason jars which have a pretty quilted design on them - still sitting there! I really need to get out and buy some fruit (no growing trees here) and get canning!

looks lovely and I bet it tasted great too

Corrie:)

Off The Peg said...

oooo it all looks so yummy! Home grown fruits are the best