Monday, September 29, 2008

Home is where the heart is

Earlier in the year I discovered Jelly Rolls, and went looking for something to try. I came across the "Heart and Home" pattern, done in Moda Madeira fabric. At the time the Madeira fabric was available, and I was able to replicate the quilt in the pattern. This is mine:

As I was only new to machine quilting, I wanted a quilt that would let me try out lots of different quiting patterns and techniques, and this was it. Each block and border have a different quilting pattern in them, making it something of a sampler quilt. My favourite bit of quilting is in the windmill block.

I've been working away like crazy on the Crabapple quilt, but I've got to a point where my hands can't take anymore, so I decided to start on the Recipe for Friendship baby quilt. I'm using the squares, and an equal number of white squares, to put together 80 half-square-triangle blocks.

I've found that the easiest way to do this is draw a line, corner-to-corner on the back of one block, put it face-down with another block, and stitch 1/4 inch on either side of the line. Then just cut along the line, open out and press....and you have two blocks! (no photo of this yet sorry)



I've also been trying to get a nice picture of Bella to post, but she does like to be difficult. Just as I took this photo, she stuck her tongue out at me! She's all class!




4 comments:

Quilter Going Bananas said...

Hi Kate! Thanks for visiting and commenting on my blog. I love reading all the comments too. Glad you liked all the pics. You've been busy practicing your machine quilting, good for you! I like the swirls you made in that pinwheel block. Doing loops is my favorite thing with my machine quilting right now. LOL

Bec said...

Your going exceptionally well Kate! Just reading through your other posts, sorry I haven't visited in a while.
Keep up the lovely posts,
Bec xxx

Scottish Nanna said...

I love your quilt you do nice work.
Hugs Mary.

Christine said...

Very nice quilt. Madeira is a lovely range. Bella looks a character .. such beautiful green eyes.